Thursday, July 7, 2011

I am a big dog!


Little Laszlo is growing every single day and although he is 4 times bigger than when I got him a few weeks ago, he is still under 20 pounds. However, he thinks he is 200 pounds and about 4 feet tall. He has this amazing confidence and struts around like he is the top dog in all situations. Yesterday I went over to my friends house where 5 adult dogs were running around playing in the yard. The dogs ranged from small (an adorable Scottish Terrier named Monty) to super huge (a gorgeous Rhodesian Ridgeback mix named PJ). Even though Laszlo has only met his house mates off leash, he walked through that gate and started running with the big boys.  Laszlo really wanted to hang out with PJ - follow him around, lie next to him, lean on him, chew on his foot. PJ's head was about the size of Laszlo's body but I am pretty sure that when Laszlo looks at him he thinks, "That is exactly what I look like."

I have to admit that when I was thinking about getting a Vizsla I was nervous that I would get an anxious, neurotic dog. The breed can be very clingy and afraid. That is one of the reasons I am working so hard to expose him to everything I can - fireworks, trucks, kids, storms, etc.  When I see him trotting around with his head held high, all independent and strong I am really proud and happy. I know that his strong will is going to cause other training related challenges but that is okay in my book. As my father would say, "He is turning into a manly dog."

I am waiting for the day when he finally realizes that he is not the king of the world. Today on a walk a large, aggressive German Shepard was lunging and growling at him. Did he crawl in between my legs and cower? Hell no, he stood his ground and growled right back, lunging toward the dog who could eat him in a heartbeat. I know running toward danger is not a good thing and he does need to learn that there are some things that it is healthy to be afraid of. We will have to see what finally knocks him down a peg...

No comments:

Post a Comment